Previous Paper of Himachal Administrative Service-2008
This blog of Redtestbook provided previous question paper of HAS which help to all aspirants of HAS.These objective type of question help for all other competitive exams which are conducted in Himachal Pradesh.
1. What is ‘Xinhua’?
Ans. A News agency in China
2. Which serving Minister of the Union Cabinet was awarded the Padma Vibhushan for 2008?
Ans. Pranab Mukherjee
3. Which of the food stuffs has the highest calorific content?
4. What happen when an object is transferred from the earth to the moon?
Ans. Its weight decrease but its mass remains constant
5. Who discovered electrons?
Ans. J.J. Thomson
6. Which scientist was the fist to demonstrate the circulation of blood?
Ans. William Harvey
7. To which category does an ‘Asparagus’ belong ?
8. Which country is the largest producer of rubber?
Ans. Thailand ( accounting for about 33% of the Global supply)
9. In which country is Greenwich located?
10. To which subject is ‘light year’ related?
11. Which community live in an ‘igloo’?
12. For what is word ‘Blitzkrieg’ used?
Ans. A sudden Crippling Attack
13. Which position does Mr. Elbardei hold at present?
Ans. Chief of International Atomic Energy Agency
14. Who is the present Director General of the World Trade Organization?
Ans. Pascal Lamy
15. Who was the captain of the Indian Under-19 cricket team which won the world cup at Kualalumpur (Malaysia) in March 2008?
Ans. Virat Kholi
16. From which country has India purchased the Barak-I anti missile defence system?
17. What role has the UNO assigned to its envoy Ibrahim Gambari at present?
Ans. To bring about a rapprochement between Aung San Su Chi and the military Junta in Myanmar
18. At which place in Australia was the last cricket match of the tri-series in March 2008, played when India defeated Australia?
19. Which position does Samdhong Rimpoche hold at present?
Ans. Tibetan Prime Minister in exil at Dharmashala
20. Which American leader has been campaigning about the climate crisis causes by global warming?
Ans. Al Gore
21. With which sport is Narain Kartikeyan associated?
22. What position does Fahmida Mirza hold in Pakistan now?
Ans. Speaker of Parliament
23. Which country has honoured Mrs. Sonia Gandhi with the’Order of Leopold’?
24. With which game is Joaqium Carravelho associated?
25. Who said,”The earth has enough for man’s need but not for man’s greed”?
Ans. Mahatma Gandhi
26. From which country has India purchased the warship INS Jalashwa?
27. Which country is known as the ‘Sugar bowl of the world’?
28. What is ‘Esperanto’?
Ans. An artificial Language
29. In which state of India is the Dudhwa National Park located?
Ans. Uttar Pradesh
30. Which erstwhile nations has now been divided into two separate states?
31. On which mountain range is the Shilla Peak located?
Ans. Zanskar ( in Distt. Kinnaur)
32. Which river enters Jammu and Kashmir at Sansari Nala after passing through Himachal Pradesh?
33. At which place in Himachal Pradesh is the Central Potato Research Institute (CPRI) located?
34. Which Muslim King besieged the fort of Nagarkot for six months in the later half of the 14th century compelling its ruler to surrender?
Ans. Firoz Shah Tughlaq
35. Who forced Raja Ghamand Chand to pay tribute to him in 1770 AD?
Ans. Jassa Singh
36. How did the status of Himachal Pradesh change after the states were reorganized in 1956?
Ans. It become a Union Terriotry
37. Which Governer-General was the first to stay at Shimla?
Ans. Lord Amherst (1827 A.D.)
38. In which year was the Himalayan Hill States Regional Council formed?
Ans. 1946 A.D.
39. What is Kee?
Ans. A Budhist monastery in Distt. Lahaul- Spiti
40. In which year was the ‘Big Landed Estates and Land Reforms Act’ passed in Himachal Pradesh?
Ans. 1954 A.D.
41. Which two sides were the signatories to the Treaty of Sagauli in 1815 A.D.?
Ans. Gurkhas and the British
42. In which year did the first legislative assembly come into existence in Himachal Pradesh?
Ans. 1952 A.D.
43. Which Himachal Princely State refused to side with the British during the War of Independence of 1857?
44. At which of the following places in Himachal Pradesh is the Mohan Meakins Breweries located?
45. At which places are resign and turpentine oil factories located in Himachal Pradesh?
Ans. Nahan and Bilaspur
46. On which river is the Kol Dam Hydro-Power Plant with Soviet Collaboration?
47. Which district of Himachal Pradesh has rock salt deposits?
Ans. Mandi (at Gumma)
48. Which princely state was founded by Raja Rasalu in 1139 A.D.?
49. In which Himachal princely sate did the people demand abolition of ‘Beger’,leading to police firing on agitators?
Ans. Dhami (16 July 1939)
50. Which of the two great men were contemporaries ?
Ans. Karl Marx and Charles Darwin
51. Which American President ordered dropping of atomic bombs on Japan during World War II?
Ans. Henry Truman
52. Which British Prime Minister was Awarded Nobel Prize for Literature ?
Ans. Winston Churchill ( in 1953)
53. In which country is ‘waterloo’ located?
54. With whom is the ideology of Fascism associated?
Ans. Benito Mussolini
55. Who is known as ‘The lady with the lamp’?
Ans. Florence Nightingale
56. Which country adopted the’Monroe Doctrine’ as a part of its foreign policy?
57. Which Russian leader introduced ‘perestroika’ and ‘glassnost’ in the Soviet Union, leading to its Foreign policy?
Ans. Mikhael Gorbachev
58. Which independent country is the latest to be craved out of the erstwhile Yugoslavia?
Ans. Kosvo ( on 17th Feb. 2008)
59. Which leader is credited with introducing globalization and market economy in China?
Ans. Deng Shiao Ping
60. Which office did Vitthal Bhai Patel hold after the formation of the Swaraj Party in 1925?
Ans. Speaker of the Central Legislative Assembly
61. Which book helped Mahatma Gandhi in shaping his views on social and economic reform?
Ans. Unto This Last (by John Ruskin)
62. Which is the last of the 50 states constituting the United States of America?
63. Which speaker of Lok Sabha has served as President of India?
Ans. Neelam Sanjeeva Reddy
64. Who was Torman?
Ans. A Hun invader and ruler of the 5th century
65. Who built Charminar at Hyderabad?
Ans. Adil Shah of Bijapur
66. Who was the author of the famous Sanskrit drama ‘Mrichchkatik’?
67. Who wrote ‘Pilgrim’s Progress’?
68. In which year was the people’s republic of China admitted as a member of the Unite Nations Organizations (UNO)?
Ans. 1971 A.D.
69. Of which country does ‘Xinjiang Uygur’ Province from part?
70. In which continent is Surinam located?
Ans. South America
71. Which African country has the largest area?
72. Which country is skirted by the warm Kuroshio current?
73. Which Sikh Guru was sentenced to death by Emperor Jahangir for blessing rebellions prince Khosrau?
Ans. Guru Arjun Dev
74. Which Peshwa emerged as the real head of Martha Confederacy under the Sangola Agreement?
Ans. Balaji Baji Rao (1750 A.D.)
75. What was the main proposal of the original Ilbert Bill presented in the central Legislative Council during the tenure of Viceroy Lord Ripon?
Ans. Empowering Indian judges to trail cases involving Europeans also
76. Who presided over the first session of the Indian National Congress held at Bombay on Dec.28, 1885?
Ans. W.C. Bannerjee
77. Who had set up the Indian Home Rule Society in London in 1905 ?
Ans. Shyamji Krishna Verma
78. Which Viceroy had promulgated the Vernacular Press Act of 1878 to muzzle press freedom ?
Ans. Lord Lytton
79. Which Amendment to the Indian Constitution banned floor-crossing by Members of Parliament and State Legislatures elected on Party-ticket?
80. Which schedule of the Indian Constitution describe the division between Center and State functions on the basis of three lists?
Ans. Seventh Schedule
81. Which type of disputes can be directly raised in the Supreme Court?
Ans. Enforcement of fundamental rights
82. Which of the refineries at the following places is not owned by the Indian oil Corporation?
83. Which fundamental right was repealed by an Act of Parliament in 1978?
Ans. Right to Property
84. Who was the first leader to call mahatma Gandhi ‘Father of the Nation’?
Ans. Subhash Chandra Bose
85. Who was the author of the book ‘ Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde’?
Ans. R.L. Steveson
86. Who has written the book ‘My Country and My Life’?
Ans. Lal Krishna Advani
87. Which of Shakespeare’s plays was once banned in England in 1788 A.D.?
Ans. King Lear
88. Why dose a burning candle get extinguished when it is covered with a tumbler?
Ans. Because of the pores in the clay walls of the pitcher
89. Why dose water get cooled in an earthen pitcher?
Ans. Because of the pores in the clay walls of the pitcher
90. Why is sea water saline?
Ans. Because of salt brought to the sea by rivers
91. Who propounded the doctrine of ‘the end justifying the means’?
92. At which place did Vasco-de-Gama land during his discovery of India on May 20, 1498 A.D.?
Ans. Calicut ( now called Kozikode)
93. What dose a Lactometer test?
Ans. Purity of milk
94. What is hydroponics?
Ans. Growing plants through nutrients without the use of soil
95. What is Pentagon?
Ans. U.S. Defence Headquartor
96. In which state of India is the rocket launching station Thumba located?
97. Who founded the Belur Math near Kolkata in 1897 A.D.?
Ans. Swami Vivekanand
98. What is Korba Known for?
Ans. Aluminium plant (BALCO)
99. In which country is Bethlehem, the birth-place of Jesus Christ, located?
100. What is ‘Hotel Rwanda’?
Ans. A film about genocide in Rwanda
101. Whose consent has to be taken before a money-bill is introduced in a state legislature?
102. To Which category does the Planning Commission in India belong?
Ans. Advisory body
103. What dose the Ritcher Scale measure?
Ans. Force of an earthquake
104. Which Indian industry needs the largest numbers of workers ?
105. Where is the Potala Palace?
106. What dose the Antodaya Scheme aim to achieve ?
Ans. Helping the poorest of the poor
107. Which is the largest source of power supply in India?
Ans. Thermal power
108. Which tax is levied only by the Central Government in India?
Ans. Income tax
109. Which office dose Montek Sing Ahluwalia hold at present?
Ans. Deputy Chairman of the Planning Commission
110. Who is the author of the book ‘In the Line of Fire’?
Ans. Parvez Musharraf
111. What was the view of the Organisation of Islamic Conference (OIC) at its meeting held at Daker in March 2008 on the question of Kashmir?
Ans. The kashmir dispute be resolved in accordance with U.N. resolutions
112. Which former Prime Minister of India was instrumental in Introducing the terms ‘Socialist’and ‘Secular’ in the preamble to the Indian constitution?
Ans. Indira Gandhi
113. In which country is the Kalaharri desert located ?
Ans. Botswana (in south America)
114. Which is the largest island in the World?
115. Which scientist is associated with the explosion of the first atomic bomb?
Ans. Robert Openheimer
116. Who laid the foundation of Yoga Therapy during 200-100 B.C.?
117. In which year was slave trade abolished in the British empire?
Ans. 1807 A.D.
118. Who wrote the Famous book ‘Essay on Populatin’?
Ans. Malthus Thomas Robert in 1798 A.D.
119. Who wrote the script of the famous movie”2001 : A space Odyssey”?
Ans. Arthur C.Clarke
120. For which historical event is the term ‘Holocaust’ used?
Ans. Genocide of Jews under the Nazis.